SKRT Magazine catches up with artist DAP the Contract on our mellow #SKRTview segment.
DAP the Contract is a musician, pianist and lawyer at a firm in New York city. He talks his style, inspirations, released and forthcoming projects, EP “I’m Glad You Made It This Far”, his creative process, relationships & more exclusive to www.skrtdaily.com
1. Tell us about yourself
I’m a very proud Nigerian, but I grew up between Nigeria, London, UK, and Providence, RI/Brooklyn, NY. I’m a classically trained pianist, but similar to my upbringing I try to fuse as many cultures and sounds as I have experienced in everything I do. I’m a full-time lawyer at a big law firm in New York City, but also a full-time, active artist. I love football (a.k.a “soccer”) as much as I love music, and I’m a die hard, lifelong Manchester United fan.
2. What influences the art/music you create?
My favorite artists and favorite songs, watching live performances and watching interviews.
3. What genre or style are you sticking to ?
Rap is the most consistent ingredient, but I’m a classical pianist raised in an afrobeat culture who grew up in the Church and loves every genre so… I hate boxes.
4. What sparked your interest in making music?
My family. My brother and sister are each Grade 8 Piano, my mother and I both have piano teaching and performance diplomas respectively, and I grew up in a house full of almost every genre of music. More specifically, Young Money in ’08 spurred me to make my first beat and start rapping 2 years later.
5. What projects have you released or planning to release?
Just released an EP “I’m Glad You Made It This Far”.
Releasing “Powers Vol. 2” EP in June.
6. What keeps you motivated, what is your creative process ?
Everything. Conversations with friends, movies, breaking news, watching interviews, life.
7. What more to expect from your brand in the future?
Acting, legal services, clothing brand partnerships, philanthropy.
8. Who are you eager to collaborate with?
9. What is your fashion sense saying?
Not a lot tbh.
10. Poison of choice?
11. Describe your social & romantic relationship status?
Social – I already got my peoples.
Romantic – Engaged and can’t wait to be married!
12. First Date Ideas?
13. Favorite whip/car?
14. Vacay country/countries of choice ?
Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Maarten.
15. Soda or Water?
DRINK MORE WATER!
16. Workout routine?
Playing football (in no particular order), occasional 1 mile treadmill + weights session.
17. How do you uplift your self spiritually and mentally?
Listening to/making/performing music, looking out over water, meditation.
18. What impact do you plan to leave on society?
Helping my country develop the infrastructure and gain access to the education it needs to progress as individuals and as a people as a whole.
19. Who is/are your mentor(s)?
My father and mother.
20. Give a quote(s) you want to be remembered by?
I pray to the lord, that’s my cheat code.
Thanks for pulling up cuz, Looking forward to seeing you at the next SKRTFest event.