SKRT Magazine catches up with artist Dark Ruby on our mellow #SKRTview segment.
Dark Ruby is an Afro fusion singer, songwriter and dancer. She talks her style, inspirations, released and forthcoming projects; ‘Girl’, ‘On You’ and her latest release ‘Moonlight‘, announces an EP coming later this year, her creative process, relationships & more exclusive to www.skrtdaily.com
1. Tell us about yourself :
I’m an Afro fusion singer, songwriter and dancer, I’m a singer that loves to express deep emotions through music and performance, being able to ignite emotions from people warms my heart.
2. What influences the art/music you create?
Everything, the world, deep emotions ,money, fun, sex.
3. What genre or style are you sticking to ?
Afro, R n B, Soul, House, Trap.
4. What sparked your interest in making music?
My father & my siblings, I grew up waking up to my father singing urhobo songs every morning & my siblings are good singers so I was exposed to a lot of good music. Also, the fact that I’ve always enjoyed writing music and I love dancing.
5. What projects have you released or planning to release?
I’ve released three singles “Girl” “On you” and my latest release “Moonlight” & I’m planning on releasing an EP soon.
6. What keeps you motivated, what is your creative process ?
The fact that I can make music that people enjoy and sparks emotions. My creative process entails yoga, wine, tapping into my emotions and being around creative minds.
7. What more to expect from your brand in the future?
More good music & thrilling performances.
8. Who are you eager to collaborate with?
Amaarae, Wizkid, The Weeknd, Burna boy, Niniola, Rihanna, Erykah Badu, Wande Coal, Kali Uchis Psycho YP, Mimz a lot actually.
9. What is your fashion sense saying?
Sexy, Sporty, fun, Gothic, comfy, and a whole lotta black.
10. Poison of choice?
11. Describe your social & romantic relationship status?
I have a great relationship with family and close friends & I’m single.
12. First Date Ideas?
Amusement park or Games arcade, A nice dinner.
13. Favorite whip/car?
Cadillac, Maserati, Mercedes.
14. Vacay country/countries of choice ?
Italy, St. Lucia, Japan, Egypt , Paris
15. Soda or Water?
16. Workout routine?
Yoga, Dancing, long walks.
17. How do you uplift your self spiritually and mentally?
I pray, I indulge heavily on creativity like dancing, art, I watch anime, I value alone time when I get the chance, Oil massages.
18. What impact do you plan to leave on society?
I would love to let the young people know that their dreams are valid & encourage them to put a lot of madness in what they do. I would also love to establish a performing arts school.
19. Who is/are your mentor(s)?
The Weekend, Jay Z & Beyonce, Sia, Burna Boy, Kali Uchis, Niniola.
20. Give a quote(s) you want to be remembered by?
Those who hear not the music think the dancers mad, always believe in yourself.
Thank you for pulling up, Looking forward to seeing you at the next SKRTFest event.